Henna and Indigo...Good Dyes for Hair?

Hi Beauties, 

I mentioned a few blog posts ago that I coloured my hair and I got tired of it. A few weeks ago I decided to end the torture once and for all and dyed my hair black. Stop the presses! I know many of you may be thinking Dee you have now triple processed your hair. I am happy to say no...I stopped at double processing. I dyed my hair naturally with henna and indigo and I am now a happy shade of black. I have light brown streaks in certain areas of my hair but I am overall black. 

For those of you who do not know what henna and indigo are let me clarify. 

Henna 

A plant based dye that is made from dried henna leaves. They are typically grown in hot climates such as the  parts of Asia, the  Middle East, and Africa. When used correctly this natural dye is said to impart properties similar to protein on  the hair such as strengthening the strands, but note it is NOT protein.  There is a wealth of valuable information on henna,  its proper use, and DO's and DONT's.  For further information please see http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/hennaforhair.pdf

Indigo
Similar to Henna, Indigo is made from the dried leave of the Indigo plant. It is the same dye that is used in denim. When mixed with water a blue dye is released. However, a variety of colours ranging from brown to black can be achieved when used with henna. Please see http://www.hennaforhair.com/indigo/index.html

Doing a henna and indigo treatment is quite tedious but it is worth it. My hair feels stronger and healthier and so far I am very happy with my colour, at first my hair was jet black and I loved it! I am hoping to do another treatment soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment